Mr. Don Furney is a partner at DMCL with broad experience in Canadian and international tax. He has worked extensively both inbound and outbound – with Canadian companies with significant foreign operations and foreign companies expanding into and doing business in Canada. Sector experience includes early stage to mature private and public companies in technology (including software and info-com), shipping and aviation, port infrastructure, real estate, mining, life sciences, consumer products, and conglomerates. He has also worked extensively with high net worth individuals, particularly as regards their international tax and wealth management.
Mr. Furney also has the benefit of having worked for 2+ years with PwC in Hong Kong – primarily advising UK and US multinational clients with respect to their Asian expansion activities.
Mr. Furney is passionate about helping to make clients successful. He works closely and pro-actively with clients and individuals in a financial, operations or director capacity - advising on or managing:
- Tax incentives and other opportunities – whether in start-up, growth or exit mode;
- Reorganizations, M&A, liquidations, public offerings and RTOs, debt structuring, private equity financing, and exits;
- Equity based compensation;
- Tax efficient corporate structures to facilitate global expansion, optimize the company’s global effective tax rate, and minimize cash taxes;
- US state and local tax issues as companies embark on US expansion;
- Intellectual property - acquisitions, dispositions, licensing, and migrations;
- Canadian and foreign tax compliance requirements;
- Scientific research and experimental development claims;
- Business models and transfer pricing;
- Global indirect tax issues – eg. GST, VAT, and PST
- Emerging Canadian and global tax changes and issues;
- Financial statement tax provisions and note disclosure for technical purposes and appropriateness;
- The building of new relationships; and
- Strong corporate governance.